My teaching approach
My teaching is designed to encourage a sense of curiosity and also involves having fun.
It stresses respect for both the practitioner and the client as an integral part of doing bodywork:
- the development of an attitude that combines warmth with professionalism
- working with an appreciation of both the nurturing and remedial aspects of massage
- working with an awareness of pacing, fluidity, continuity and rhythm
- sensitivity, adaptability and creativity in applying techniques
- looking after your own body and using it with ease and effectively while massaging, so that good bodyuse becomes an integral part of your practice
- the use of preparatory centering and grounding exercises by practitioners, and self monitoring to maintain energy and awareness while working
Teaching of techniques includes:
- ‘listening’ with your hands – to monitor and adapt your techniques to suit the client’s build, tensions and responses
- adapting the delivery of your techniques to suit your own build and physical capabilities
- considering where techniques fits into the overall treatment session
- developing a feel for the appropriate depth of working with a client
- and ways of incorporating both intuition and anatomical knowledge
Note: I reserve the right to dismiss people from workshops due to inappropriate or insensitive application of the techniques (or for unprofessional behaviour).